Microsoft Edge already has a PDF reader that provides various annotation features like highlighting, drawing, and reading aloud. The company is now adding another helpful feature to the mix – adding text to PDF files. Yes, you will no longer need to rely on third-party tools to fill out forms or provide feedback to your team. Today, you’ll learn how to add text to PDF files in Microsoft Edge so you can fill out forms without leaving the browser.
Add Text to PDF Using Microsoft Edge (2021)
Before we start, it’s worth mentioning that Microsoft is testing this feature in the Canary and Dev channels. However, I could partially access the element in the stable version of Edge (more on this below). With that out of the way, let’s get straight to the guide.
How to Add Text to PDF Files in Microsoft Edge Steps by Steps
- Open a PDF file in Edge and look for the new ‘Add Text’ button in the top toolbar. You can right-click anywhere in the PDF and choose ‘Add Text.’
Note: Right-click option is also available on the stable version. I was able to access it on Microsoft Edge version 93.0.961.47.
- After selecting ‘Add text,’ click on the PDF file part where you want to add new text. You will now see a textbox in your PDF document with some temporary formatting options. It includes 3 options – text color, text size adjustment, and text spacing adjustment options. Available color options include Red, Dark Green, Blue, and Black.
- Next to the text color option, you will find a button to increase or decrease the text size. You can use these options to change the size of the text based on your preference.
- You also have the option to adjust the text spacing. This tool was beneficial in properly distinguishing each letter in its respective box, as you see attached below.
- You can use the trash icon next to the text spacing icon to delete a text box. Don’t forget to use the keyboard shortcut ‘Ctrl+S’ or click the save icon in the upper-right corner to keep the text you’ve added to a PDF file using Edge.
- After adding the textbox, the result looks like this
Microsoft PDF Text Input Feature: Supported Languages
According to Microsoft, you can add text to PDF files in the following languages:
- Scottish Gaelic
Add Text to PDF Files from Edge Browser for Free
Microsoft Edge’s text input feature for PDFs files is quite capable and convenient for filling out forms. It is an excellent addition to the previous annotation capabilities of PDF Viewer. If you want more powerful PDF editing features, visit our article on how to edit PDF files for free. We have also listed paid options in our separate guide on editing PDF files. For more edge tips, don’t forget to check out our edge tips and tricks article. If you have any other app recommendations for adding text to PDFs, do let us know in the comments section below.
Also Read: The Complete Guide To Minecraft Biomes