Minecraft is the most popular open-world sandbox game with unlimited possibilities for how you play it. However, for some people, even that experience can be repetitive. So today, we will show how to use mods in Minecraft to install Forge and make your MC’s world even more enjoyable. From downloading Forge to running mods, we’ll cover everything you’re looking for to enhance your Minecraft experience. Now, let’s get started and figure out how to install Forge in Minecraft.
How to Install Forge and Use Minecraft Mods
Using forges and mods may seem like a complicated process, but it’s pretty simple in Minecraft. If you don’t have a high-end PC to dodge performance issues, you should avoid using multiple heavy mods. However, before we enter the discussion about Forge, let us first understand Minecraft mods as you will hear a lot about them.
Keep in mind that installing Forge in Minecraft is limited to the Java version. You can find out the difference between Minecraft Java and Bedrock here.
What are mods in Minecraft
Mods are software add-ons intended to enhance the gameplay experience by modifying the original core elements in any video game. This can range from spawning zombies or even rockets in the game to improving OptiFine’s performance. Thanks to the popularity all around the game, Minecraft Java has hundreds if not thousands of mods available free online.
If you’re a programmer, you can understand how easy it is for enthusiasts to decompile a Java version of a game to create interesting mods around the source code.
What is Minecraft Forge
Now that we know what mods are, we need software to handle such mods. Forge is an accessible open-source server that lets you install and run mods on Minecraft. It is designed as a bridge between complex mods and non-programming Minecraft players. Thanks to Forge, you don’t need any high-level technical skills to install and run the mod on Minecraft Java.
The team behind Minecraft Forge is dedicated, so getting a bug while using Forge is a rare scenario. Plus, constant updates to the software ensure that there is always a forge available for each game version. Unfortunately, there is no Forge option for the Bedrock version. So if you want to try out modified Minecraft gaming, it might be time to make the switch.
Minimum requirements to run Minecraft Forge
Fortunately, there are no significant requirements for Minecraft Forge other than your PC’s ability to run Minecraft properly. However, you may have to keep checking your specs for each mod you install, as some of them can be resource-intensive and demanding. If you run multiple mods in the same Minecraft world at once, the stakes get even higher. We suggest you check mod information and user reviews to understand whether your system can handle a specific mod.
How to download Minecraft forge
The steps to download Minecraft Forge are pretty straightforward. But before doing that, you need to make sure you know the version of your Minecraft installation. The easiest way to find it is to launch your game and check the version written on the screen’s bottom-left corner.
With that out of the way, let’s check out the steps to install Minecraft Forge on your PC:
- Once you know your game version, go to the official website of Minecraft Forge. Here, you have to select your game version by clicking on it from the left sidebar. Then, you need to click on the “Installer” button in the middle of the webpage.
2. As soon as you click on the Installer button, you will see a skippable advertisement. Then, wait a few seconds for the “Quit” button to appear in the upper right corner, and click it to proceed.
3. Skipping the ad will start the download. Since this is a .jar file, your browser may warn that it may be harmful. Select the “Keep” option when prompted. And don’t worry, this is a tested, scanned, and popular software among the Minecraft community.
How to Install Minecraft Forge
1. Once the download is over open Forge Installer by double-clicking it. When you are prompted to open your antivirus, click “More Info” and select the “Run Anyway” option.
2. Forge will automatically detect the location of the default Minecraft installation. You can manually load it into your Minecraft directory by pressing the (…) button next to the default directory address. After that, all you have to do is select the “Install Client” option and click on the “OK” button.
3. Wait for Forge to download and install your game. Once this is done, you will be greeted by a successful installation message. To ensure it works correctly, please do not use an already modified version of the game and match the game version carefully with the version of Minecraft Forge.
You can check your game profile in the Minecraft Launcher to see if you have Forge up and running. But there is no point in running Minecraft Forge without first installing a mod.
Also Read: How to Make a Boat in Minecraft Guide
Install Mods Using Forge
Installing mods in Minecraft is even simpler than installing Forge. Before we understand how it works, you first need to download the Minecraft mod of your choice. You can googling or head over to our list of best Minecraft mods and pick one up. After that, follow the steps below:
1. Assuming that you have downloaded a mod file, you will now have a .jar java mod file. All you have to do is right-click on that file and choose “Copy,” or you can also press the Windows keyboard shortcut Ctrl + C after selecting the file.
2. Once you have copied the file, use the Win key + R keyboard shortcut and type the following in the Run window – “
%appdata%\.minecraft\mods ” and then click on the “OK” button.
If you don’t have the mods folder in your directory, you can always create a new folder. Right-click and select the “New” option, followed by the “folder” option to make a fresh mods folder. Don’t forget to name it “mods” (without the quotes).
3. Once you are in the mods folder, right-click and select “Paste” or press Ctrl + V on your keyboard to paste the mod file. And we are. Yes, it is so easy to install your favorite mods in Minecraft.
Forge. Using Running Mods in Minecraft
Now that we have Minecraft with a mod up and running, it’s time to test it out. Follow the steps listed below:
1. You will be able to find Minecraft Forge in your official Minecraft Launcher next to the “Play” button. You can select it from the list by clicking the up arrow above your Minecraft version number. Once you have selected Forge, click “Play” to start your Minecraft world with Forge.
2. As the game loads, you’ll notice a new option called “Mods” is available on your Minecraft home screen. Click it to open the mod menu.
3. Clicking on the “Mods” option will open a list of installed mods. You can click on the mod names to find out more about each of them. You will also see some configuration options with some mods.
4. At this point, Minecraft mods are ready for testing. All you have to do is load your world as usual, and the mod will be up and running in the game.
How to Uninstall Forge from Minecraft
There may be some performance issues, or you have changed your mind for whatever reason; you can quickly remove Forge from your Minecraft installation to restore it to its original state. Before doing this, however, you must first remove the installed mods from the game. There is no option to remove mods from inside the game, but you can delete the file from the mods folder to remove all mods (follow the steps above). Once that is done, follow the steps below to remove Forge from Minecraft:
1. First, go to your Minecraft directory, which you can find at
C:\users\your username\%appdata%\roaming\.minecraft\. Alternatively, you can use the run command by pressing Win + R keys and enter this address –
%appdata%\.minecraft\ into the search box.
2. Next, open the Versions folder in that directory to see a list of installed game versions, which also have “forge” in their name.
3. Select all Forge folders and delete them by right-clicking and selecting the “Delete” option or by pressing the “Delete” key on your keyboard.
Once you delete the files related to Forge, you will no longer see Forge Launch options in the Profile section of your Minecraft Launcher. In addition, mods will no longer affect your Minecraft world.
Minecraft Forge: FAQ & Potential Errors
The Forge has been running with the Minecraft Java version for years, and the game’s readily available source code makes it only viable for modding. So yes, the forge is just acting as a bridge. It should be safe to assume that even though it is not officially recommended, Minecraft Forge is legal for personal use.
There may be some servers that do not allow you to use them. Please check the server rules to avoid getting banned in such scenarios. Likewise, mods are usually banned in Minecraft gaming tournaments, so be careful there as well.
Minecraft Forge is entirely safe as long as you download it from the official website and use it with virus-free mods. I’ve been using it on my PC since its release without any problems. You can learn how to download Forge the right way by reading this guide.
As long as you are not creating or using Minecraft mods for money, it is legal and permissible to modify the game. This is officially mentioned in Minecraft’s End-User License Agreement or EULA, so you don’t need to worry.
The solution to all the JNI errors is the same. You need to manually update the Java on your PC by downloading it from this link. Download and install the Windows x64 version of Java to fix the JNI errors while installing Minecraft Forge.
Mojang, the developers behind Minecraft, only allows mods that are free and publicly available. Any paid mods are considered illegal and something that you should altogether avoid using on your games. There are already thousands of free mods available on the internet. So if you find a paid mod, it can easily be replaced by a free alternative.