Timing is everything, even when it comes to text messaging. After all, the last thing you want is to send your boss a late-night text out of fear that he might forget it tomorrow. Well, you can save yourself the trouble by scheduling the message instead.
Whether you have an Android or an iPhone, you can send delayed text messages and forget about them. This post will walk through how to schedule messages on iPhone, Samsung, and other Android devices. so let’s get started.
How to schedule text messages on Android
If you’re an Android user, you likely have Google Messages as the default messaging app on your phone. And if so, here’s how you can schedule text messages using the Google Messages app on Android.
- Open the Messages app on your phone.
- Use the Start Chat button to create a new conversation or open an existing conversation to type your message.
- Now press and hold the send button until the ‘Schedule send’ window appears.
- Choose from the available time to send the message.
- Once done, a small clock will appear on the send button, indicating that it is a scheduled message. Click on that send button and the message will be scheduled.
- Once sent, there will be a clock icon next to the message. You can use it to make any changes to the scheduled message. For example, you choose to update the message text or change its schedule by selecting the Update message option.
- Additionally, you can also choose to send the message immediately or delete it entirely.
- That’s all it takes to schedule messages in the Messages app on Android. Note that your phone needs to be connected to the Internet for text scheduling to work.
Note: If tapping and holding the send button doesn’t bring up the schedule send window, try updating the Messages app from Google PlayStore first.
Alternatively, you can use the date and time picker to set a scheduled time for the message.
How to Schedule Text Messages on Samsung
If you have a Samsung phone, it comes with the Samsung Messages app pre-installed instead of Google Messages. Luckily, you won’t have to make the switch because Samsung Messages can schedule messages for quite some time. See here how it works.
- Open the Samsung Messages app on your phone.
- Tap the Compose message button or open an existing conversation.
- Tap the + icon to the left of the text field and select the Schedule message option.
- Enter the preferred time and date and then tap on Done.
- Now type the message in the text field before hitting the send button.
this much only. Your message is now scheduled. Like with Google Messages, if you want to make any changes to the message before you send it, tap the message and choose from the options to send it now, delete or edit the message.
How to schedule text messages on your iPhone
While scheduling messages on iPhone is not as direct as on Android, it is still possible. The iPhone’s default messaging app doesn’t have a feature to schedule texts, but you can take advantage of the Shortcuts app on your iPhone to send delayed texts from your iPhone. Here’s how to do it.
- Launch the Shortcuts app on your iPhone. Whereas the Shortcuts app comes pre-installed on devices running iOS 13 or later. If your device is running on an older version, you will need to download the Shortcuts app from the App Store.
- Switch to the Automation tab and tap on the Create Personal Automation button. Next, select the ‘Time of Day’ option from the following screen and choose the preferred time to send the message.
- Under Repeat, select the Monthly option and choose a date on which you want to send the message. Then tap on Next in the upper right corner.
- On the following screen, tap on Add Action button and tap on the Apps option from the menu that appears.
- Scroll down to find and tap on the Messages app. Here tap on send message option.
- Now edit the message and recipient fields before hitting Next. Review the message details and click Done.
- Afterward, you can tap on the messages to edit their details.
Once done, the iPhone will send the message at the scheduled time. However, one major caveat with this method is that it is automation. So, the message will be sent to the person on the selected date every month.
Thus, make sure to remove the automation after the message has been sent. To remove automation, swipe from right to left on the automation.
Furthermore, this method seems to work flawlessly when sending scheduled messages from your iPhone.