Every year, many people across the world wait for Apple to launch a new range of iPhones. That time is now upon us as the company prepares to unveil the iPhone 13 series via an online event on September 14.
There have already been several leaks about what we can expect to see in these upcoming phones, but of course, nothing like the real deal.
So if you are waiting to pick up one of the new devices from the iPhone 13 series or have already grabbed one and stumbled upon this article on how to transfer data from your old Android or iOS device to the new iPhone If done, then you have come to the right place.
Transferring data can seem like a chore, especially for those excited to see their shiny new iPhone. However, with this guide, you will be able to get your files and data on a new iPhone in an instant.
Transfer data from Android to new iPhone
1. Using Move to iOS
Apple introduced the ‘Move to iOS’ application for Android in 2015, and it was the Cupertino-based company’s first app for the platform.
The app is free to download through the Play Store, and here is how you can use it to transfer some files and data from your old Android phone to the new iPhone.
- Download and install ‘Move to iOS’ from Play Store.
- Plug your iPhone and Android phone into a power source and turn on Wi-Fi on your Android phone.
- Make sure you are on the setup screen on your new iPhone. If not, wipe/reset the device and start again.
- Select the ‘Move data from Android’ option through the setup screen on your new iPhone.
Launch ‘Move to iOS’ on your Android phone and agree to the terms and conditions. Then tap Next in the top-right corner of the Find Your Code page.
- Now, in the Move to iOS app for Android, enter the 6 or 12 digit code displayed on the iPhone.
- Once entered, your Android and iPhone will automatically connect via Wi-Fi, and you will see some options on your Android phone for the data or files you want to transfer.
- After selecting what is required, tap on the ‘Next’ button and wait for the data to be transferred.
While Apple’s Move to an iOS app is nice in itself, it falls short in terms of features compared to other options. For example, it does not allow the transfer of songs/videos saved in WhatsApp chats, phone memory, ringtones, and more.
Also, the transfer speed is not the fastest. Therefore, it may take longer than you expect. There is also a possibility that the process may be interrupted due to various reasons. But the most disappointing thing is that Move to iOS only works if you’ve been setting up your iPhone from the beginning.
So if you didn’t transfer your files during the first setup, you would have to reset the device to transfer data from your old Android Phone to the new iPhone. Luckily, you don’t have to rely on Move to iOS as there is an excellent alternative called AnyTrans, which makes up for the lack of features in Apple’s official app.
2. Using AnyTrans
AnyTrans is easily the best tool you can get for managing data on your iOS device. Not only does it let you transfer data from any Android phone to an iPhone, but it also offers a bunch of other features that let you keep your files securely backed up.
Unlike Apple’s official Move to iOS app, AnyTrans lets you transfer just about every file type you want, including those precious WhatsApp chats and more.
And that is just a scratch on the surface. While transferring images, AnyTrans also retains albums from your Android Phone so that you are not left with unsold photos on your iPhone.
However, the best part is that it lets you transfer data without resetting your iPhone or setting it up again. As the icing on the cake, it also automatically discards duplicate ingredients. Now, this is incredibly useful.
Of course, there are some other interesting features that AnyTrans has to offer. So let’s take a look at how to use the ‘phone switcher’ feature in AnyTrans to transfer data from Android to iOS in a more convenient way.
- Download and install AnyTrans on your Windows or Mac computer.
- Make sure you have enabled USB debugging on your Android Phone for it to work.
- Now, connect your Android Phone and iPhone to the computer via USB and wait for the tool to recognize the device.
- When the device pops up on the AnyTrans tool, click on the option that says ‘Phone Switcher’ in the left column. Then select the Phone to iPhone option, click the ‘Migrate Now’ button, and click ‘Next’.
- This tool will now show you multiple categories of files, including Music, Images, Contacts, Ringtones, and more. Select the files you want to transfer and then click ‘Next’.
- Depending on the size of the files you are transferring, the process may take a few minutes or more. The larger the size of the files, the longer it will take.
- Once done, you will see the message ‘Transfer Completed’, and then you can check all the files on your iPhone.
That said, those were the steps to transfer data from Android Phone to iPhone. But what if you’re switching from an old iPhone to a new one? Well, we’ve got you covered there too.
Transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone
1. Using Apple Quick Start
If you own an older iPhone and have upgraded to the new iPhone 13 or any other iPhone model for that matter, QuickStart can come in handy.
This official service lets you transfer some data from an iOS device to a new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Turn on your new iPhone and hold it near your old iPhone, which will bring up the ‘Set up new iPhone using your Apple ID’ pop-up.
- Tap ‘Continue’ (Bluetooth must be enabled) and then scan the animation on your new iPhone with the camera on the existing iPhone.
- Once scanned, you may need to enter your current iPhone’s PIN code.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up Face ID or Touch ID on the new iPhone.
- You will now need to enter your Apple ID password to proceed.
- On your new iPhone, you’ll see options to transfer data from the old iPhone, restore apps, data, and settings from your latest iCloud backup, or click ‘Other’ if you want to restore the backup via computer. Options’ will appear.
- Select your preferred option and wait for the process to complete.
While Quick-Start has got the basics right, it lacks several key features you might need if you want more than just images or purchased music.
Also, like Move to iOS for Android, Quick Start only works with an iPhone that is either new or has been reset. Meaning, you cannot use it to transfer files to the iPhone you are currently using.
That’s where AnyTrans comes in to save the day, again!
2. Using AnyTrans
Unlike QuickStart, AnyTrans lets you transfer all supported files on iPhone, including music not purchased through iTunes. This alone makes Apple’s official data transfer option ancient.
Of course, there is much more. For starters, it gives you the option to either select the files you want to transfer or transfer everything from your old iPhone to the new one in just one click.
You can also be worry-free as the transfer process will not erase the existing data on your iPhone, and it will automatically discard any duplicate files.
Another thing that makes it stand out compared to Quick Start is that you don’t need to reset your iPhone to transfer data from the old iPhone.
Last but not least, AnyTrans lets you merge and transfer important content such as WhatsApp chats from the same person into a single thread or combine and share multiple contact numbers/information of the same person into a single contact card.
Here are the steps to use AnyTrans to transfer data between the old iPhone and the new iPhone.
- Launch AnyTrans on your Windows or Mac computer.
- Connect the old iPhone and the new iPhone to the computer via USB.
- Click on the ‘Phone Switcher’ option in AnyTrans and wait for it to detect the devices.
- Now click on the ‘Migrate Now’ option in the ‘Phone to iPhone’ box
- Make sure you have selected the correct iPhone from which you want to transfer files to the new iPhone.
- Click the ‘Next button and then select the categories of files you want to transfer or check the ‘Select All’ option to transfer everything.
- Click ‘Next’ again and wait for the process to complete.
This much only. All selected files from your old iPhone will now be available to use on your new iPhone. Super easy. But if you have trouble following the written guide, you can watch a video instead.
But that’s not all. AnyTrans isn’t just a data transfer tool you buy and use once in a blue moon to transfer data from your old Android or iOS phone to the new iPhone. Instead, it also acts as an iPhone manager.
So it will save your time and effort in many aspects, including data backup, creating personalized ringtones, backup/upgrade/manage iPhone apps, online download videos, mirror iPhone screen on the computer, etc.
Disclaimer: TechRander assumes no responsibility for the product advertised here as well as how these applications are used.